People 1st, the Sector Skills Council for hospitality, leisure, travel and tourism, has appointed 10 key figures from across the industry, including Michelin-starred chef Michael Caines, to its member council.
Jillian MacLean, managing director of Drake and Morgan, and Mike Williams, group director of people and development at Malmaison and Hotel du Vin Hotels, were also among the list of new members.
Natalie Bickford, HR director for contract caterer Sodexo has been named vice-chair of the board of trustees. She joined People 1st in 2008 and is also chair of the Sector Skills Council's Women 1st initiative.
People 1st's chief executive, Brian Wisdom, welcomed the new members and added: "The new additions to our council of members bring a wealth of experience from across the visitor economy. I look forward to involving each of the new members in our work, and to listening to the expertise and guidance that they will bring."
Other new additions to the People 1st council of members are:
● Christian Armstrong - people and development director - Guoman and Thistle Hotels
● Karen Davies - HR director, Novus Leisure
● Sara Edwards - director of HR worldwide, Orient-Express Services
● Mike Greenacre - managing director, Co-operative Travel
● John McEwan - chief executive, Advantage Travel, who also joins the board of trustees
● Shelley Thomas - group people director, Gala Coral Group
● Alistair Telfer - club secretary, Oxford and Cambridge Club
The new members were introduced at People 1st's annual general meeting last week, where Minister for Welfare Reform Lord Freud attended to discuss how hospitality, leisure, travel and tourism employers could assist in getting unemployed people back into work.